DelusionaL

First Autonomous Car Fatality

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/19/technology/uber-driverless-fatality.html

The first pedestrian death caused by a driverless car occurred last Sunday night in Tempe, Arizona as an Uber autonomous prototype collided with a woman at an intersection. An article from the New York Times is included if you'd like to peruse the story in more detail, but there are many takes on this incident from a variety of news sources that I encourage you all to investigate.

What do you guys think? Self-driving technology still has a long way to go clearly, but I don't think this should be as much of a setback as many people think. Hundreds of people die in auto crashes a day in the United States, perhaps autonomous vehicles won't completely eliminate that statistic (as evidenced by this story) but maybe at a larger scale, self-driving technology can actually reduce the amount of motorist deaths. What're your guys' thoughts?

I read about this yesterday. There was a safety driver behind the wheel with the capabilities of intervening. Neither him or the self driving car caught the error. That goes to show that some accidents are just unavoidable.

2 hours ago, Vuo said:

I read about this yesterday. There was a safety driver behind the wheel with the capabilities of intervening. Neither him or the self driving car caught the error. That goes to show that some accidents are just unavoidable.

Yeah I just read an update about this case, the police investigated the incident and said that the woman stepped out unexpectedly into the intersection. So I feel like it's more of an issue of how to incorporate the chances of human behavior, choices and error into autonomous technology--which seems like quite the issue to tackle. I deal with consumer choice in the sense of economics but damn even that shit is esoteric and incredibly conceptual, I can't imagine trying to devise autonomy that recognizes random possibilities and outcomes like stepping out onto a crosswalk unexpectedly.