2 2
arcenic18

Equality with a god!

The strength of a man is his weakness. And the weakness of a man is his strength. If the Genesis account is to be believed, then it's true that humanities downfall is grasping at these three temptations being offered by someone powerful enough to influence the thought of Mankind. Material things (the world), Power (to rule over or have dominion), glory (fame/majesty) is what all this about why people are always in conflict with each other. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have seen and observed it every day; People want to become rich, become famous, become powerful. The Old Testament and the New Testament says it all about human tendencies: tendencies to commit crime, tendencies to compromise, tendencies to do whatever it takes just to reach it. Now, why "equality with a god"? Genesis account tells a story of Adam wanting to be like the "gods". And in later chapter "Elohim" or "gods" tells that "they had become like one of us". But in the New Testament, Apostle Paul tells of the second Adam that is "Jesus" who did not fall from the temptations of the "Adversary/Accuser" (the preferable translation of Hebrew "satan"). This is why Paul tells us in Philippians 2 that Jesus did not consider "equality with God something to be grasp." But other than Jesus of the Christian literature, is it possible that the reason why people for thousands of years are always at war with each other is that of wanting to acquire Material possession, Power, Glory? Is it not true that human being really wanted to become like a god?

Any ideas or input regarding this topic is very much appreciated. I will thank you in advance for your opinion.

Certainly, humans want to take a god's position, some are already doing it in a way, they just declare themselves to be a sort of god that should be worshipped, respected and reverence just like a god and funny enough most of them have great followers that see nothing wrong with that.I don't know why people do that,I wonder if it out of ignorance.All the same, I think it wrong for a mere mortal to seek to be like a god. I think we have just one great God, the creator of the whole universe and that is who I believe and worship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uyai said:

Certainly, humans want to take a god's position, some are already doing it in a way, they just declare themselves to be a sort of god that should be worshipped, respected and reverence just like a god and funny enough most of them have great followers that see nothing wrong with that.I don't know why people do that,I wonder if it out of ignorance.All the same, I think it wrong for a mere mortal to seek to be like a god. I think we have just one great God, the creator of the whole universe and that is who I believe and worship.

Lots of them. These are the people who want to change God's design. There are also people who wanted to create something that is not supposed to be. They even tried to duplicate the acts of the Creator: Genetics/DNA. The world, the Earth, is already reaching its climax; some say it's the end or end of days. 

12 hours ago, arcenic18 said:

Lots of them. These are the people who want to change God's design. There are also people who wanted to create something that is not supposed to be. They even tried to duplicate the acts of the Creator: Genetics/DNA. The world, the Earth, is already reaching its climax; some say it's the end or end of days. 

Sure, some have already declared themselves as the god that was to come.There is a church owner in my country that told the members that he is God and he has descended from heaven and he is really ruling already on earth,so no more God in heaven he is with us already on earth, crafting out doctrines that have nothing to do with the holy bible,funny members are in millions because his church is a universal one and there are everywhere.I just hope that mortals will one day come to the point of truth and I hope it will be pretty soon.

I don't really think that most of them have this exact thought in mind " Become like a God", or they think about it metaforically speaking. Yes, you are right, people nowdays are craving more and more for power and money and in general, the thought of owning the world, but I don't think it's related to religion. It's the nature of humans to be competitive and greedy and seek for more and more. I am not a religious person myself, and I am all in for technology and advanced medicine, as far as I lived I understood that we are alone on this world and the only way we can survive is if we help each other, not trying to eliminate each other in the contest for conquering the world.

• Like 1

While most people want to achieve something in their field that would get them honor, fame, and glory, I think that only a few actually want to be equal to a god, and those few become tyrant leaders in their countries, or they end up being imprisoned for crimes. I think people who go to this extreme lose sight of what makes them human and instead think of themselves very highly, which lead to their mistakes.

On 3/6/2018 at 7:19 PM, Tatiana Stan said:

I don't really think that most of them have this exact thought in mind " Become like a God", or they think about it metaforically speaking. Yes, you are right, people nowdays are craving more and more for power and money and in general, the thought of owning the world, but I don't think it's related to religion. It's the nature of humans to be competitive and greedy and seek for more and more. I am not a religious person myself, and I am all in for technology and advanced medicine, as far as I lived I understood that we are alone on this world and the only way we can survive is if we help each other, not trying to eliminate each other in the contest for conquering the world.

I agree in part of what you said. But on the matters of religion, I would probably disagree with that. History shows us that humanity is deeply rooted in "religion" (not by its very definition though but by its term commonly known). If one looks at all material sources available for us you will find that Science and religion were intertwined for ages. Medicine is one example, ancient history tells of people trying to please the gods by applying certain medicines to sick people, and later on, studies on medicines developed. Other fields of science are on the move to "prove" or "disprove" the claims of a certain religion or religious groups. 

I don't personally know anyone who does have an intention to become like a god, However I have witnessed a lot of people who desired to have the power and everything for several reasons; Some does want to have power because they have good intentions but they can only achieve thise by gaining enough power and influence and then it goes the other way around, I mean there are some people who just simply wants' to earn power for their selfless intention. So at the end in all falls down with how we are being raise. I think humanity should have just one religion, one belief and one god to follow but I think that is impossible to achieve in my own opinion. 

I don't think the serpent in Genesis is saying people can be as powerful as a God, but only that humans can make their own moral judgments - apart from God. In fact, that seems to be the main gist of Satan's message thru all history - and it's an attractive one, obviously, as people love freedom and fleshy desire.  

Edited by TheJason

Where there is desperation, dejection, despondency and feel like hapless, that soul (pl refer to an individual human being) will keep on searching to gain some kind of respite. Here comes our so called "false/fake religious gurus" saying themselves as God. And these false/fake gurus exploit the very innocent and hapless human being to their satisfaction. I would humbly say that if a man/woman able to understand and accept that this life is nothing less than an gift of god, they will not try to become or act like God.